Today I went to the store with the same clothes that I worked in at the mall. I have never worn anything but jeans and t-shirts at the bookstore and today, I went in professional looking clothes and I was wearing my hair down but I wanted this wavy, gelled look today. This is one of the rare times that I actually used gel. I was also wearing full makeup. A guy, one of my regular customers, came in the store and he asked me if I was the same girl who is always there. At first, I thought he was joking but I saw that he really did not recognize me. He said that the girl who works in the store "usually has her hair tied up in a ponytail and she wears jeans all the time." I said it was me and he asked if i was sure. Finally, I held my hair up in the ponytail and he saw that it was me.
The book season is starting again. I am getting ready to work the long hours from dawn until dusk and a little more. Hopefully, it will not be as hard as it was earlier this year. Furgie is here now so it should not be that demanding.
For a few days now, I have been missing my friend Laila. She moved back to Venezuela earlier this year and she got a really good job. Whoo hoo! We don't get to speak too often because by the time I get home on evenings, she is usually asleep. I was putting up Christmas decorations in the store this year and I thought of last year when she helped me and I broke the mirror that was supposed to be a collectable item. I was singing on the top of my lungs (no, that didn't break the mirror) and stapling tinsel to the wall (that broke it!) when I hit the stapler too hard and the mirror went crashing to the floor. We aren't superstitious but our only concern was that the boss would say something. Turns out that he didn't care too much for it because he laughed when I told him how it broke.
I've seen one difference with my jobs. In the "professional" one, I see cat-fights waiting to happen. A bunch of girls are together in one place and they secretly hate each other or they find faults with each other. I cannot understand why they cannot get along. After all, everyone has faults! For me, it's just a job that I will do for one month of my life and get out of it. I am trying to keep out of the drama. In the "not-so-professional" job, I work with three men and furgie and I have no stress whatsoever. I go in there, late, early (mostly late), I do whatever I want to do...in my time. Sometimes, they will call me to watch TV with them or I will turn on the TV and start watching and they never say anything to me. I guess it's very informal, my work but at the same time, I realized somewhere along the line, I got the experience and the people skills I needed to survive in the job world.
No comments:
Post a Comment